The ΙΟΑ, situated next to the archaeological site where the first Olympic Games were born, aims at studying, enriching and promoting Olympism and its values in relevance with current global issues of Olympic interest and in conformity with the principles laid down by the ancient Greeks and the revivers of the contemporary Olympic Movement.
- To function as an international institution for Olympic Education and Research.
- To disseminate the Olympic values in society through Olympic Education.
- To promote the humanistic dimension of Olympism in society, and to contribute to world peace.
- To educate the individuals on the Olympic Ideals and the Principles of the Olympic Movement.
- To motivate people to use the experiences and knowledge gained in the IOA productively, by promoting the Olympic Ideals in their respective countries.
- To act as an international forum for free expression and exchange of ideas among people of different backgrounds in a spirit of solidarity, friendship and mutual respect.
- To enhance the role of the NOAs worldwide and their relation with their respective NOCs, to encourage and to assist their work and to cooperate with other institutions devoted to Olympic Education.
“Defending and promoting the Olympic Ideal from both the sporting and the cultural point of view must be a task that we all share.”